- This event has passed.
The Best Skill of Leadership: Directing vs. Equipping
July 26, 2022 @ 12:30 pm - 1:30 pm EDTFree
What is the best skill of missional leadership that can spark and sustain a decentralized network of microchurches? Equipping. “Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, to equip his people for works of service …” (Ephsians 4:11-12).
The challenge with centralized leadership is that it tends to disempower others because it is so directive: a few directing many, who simply fill roles in programs, leaving people under-developed. True apostolic leadership calls forth and develops the gifts and callings of all of God’s people. It does not create reliance but equips everyone for release and reproduction, based on the dynamics of the gospel and the priesthood of all believers. In this webinar, we will explore the leadership skill of equipping.
THIS MINISERIES: MICROCHURCHES AND THE NEW WINESKIN OF LEADERSHIP
We are reimagining the Church as a decentralized network of multiplying missionaries and microchurches that fill a city or region with the fullness of Jesus. For most of us, that requires a shift from the centralized form of leadership that we’ve been using to a decentralized one.
- Churches look and feel like a pyramid. Hierarchies are built for control. Top-down leadership ultimately communicates, “We can do it; you can help.”
- Power is collected, especially for the organization and a few at the top.
- A few lead, and everyone else follows.
- Authority and ownership are extended out to the edges, and those circles are reproduced.
- Power is treated as a currency that is available to everyone. The goal is for everyone and every expression of the church to reach their maximum influence.
- Everyone leads, and everyone follows.
This decentralized form of the Church requires a new wineskin: a culture of decentralized, polycentric leadership with flat structures. In this miniseries, we will dig into the source, structure, scorecard, speed, and skill of leadership in this new wineskin.